Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Another 'Hangover' Coming

As a part of my ongoing campaign to rain on the parade of the millions who cackled their way through the blisteringly uninspired Summer comedy hit, “The Hangover,” I now cast my sardonic shadow over news that broke via Entertainment Weekly yesterday, that the script for writer/director Todd Phillips’ objectively unnecessary sequel is roughly half-way finished.

Of course, news of a sequel isn’t really news at all, as “Hangover 2” had been green-lighted preemptively. “The movie tested so well, Warner Bros. came to me even before it was released and said, ‘Let’s do another one.’” Philips said in an interview with EW. No plot details on his follow-up have been released of yet, but Phillips promises the film will not be a cookie-cutter rehash of the first, “I think you can take those characters and put them in other situations, and you don’t need the sell of Vegas and a bachelor party and all that other stuff.”


But then, “The Hangover” wouldn’t be “The Hangover” without a requisite dose of alcoholic overindulgence and lowest-common-denominator teenage pandering. Expect plenty of “Home Alone 2” esque ‘We did it again!’ sequences with whoever-we-can-get celebrity cameos and juvenile, ‘Dude, I was so drunk that…’ humor.


I may be in the vast minority for my contempt of the original, but I think we can all agree that sequels are a slippery slope. It may not be long before “The Hangover 3: Band Camp” is cluttering the direct-to-DVD wall at video stores the country over.

No comments:

Post a Comment